Thursday, May 31, 2012

Kindness Personified

 I'm so behind on my wedding planning, I don't even have invites sent yet. I know, it's horrible, but at least everyone is aware of it. They may be a month in advance, but that's better than nothing. Money is tight tilla fter the wedding, and I've said it before but I will say it again. I really cannot wait to stop spending money on this thing. Haha. That sounds terrible, but I bought a $500 dress, for example, and after the alterations and 'everything the dress needed' according to the seamstress, the dress was an $800 one. I found the perfect photographer, and I'm so excited to work with her. She knew exactly how low my budget was, and didn't want me to miss out. That's kindness.


Speaking of kindness, today I am blogging about something that really touched me. The other day, we had placed my check in the bank early in the AM. Well they had told me it would be in there immediately. So we went next door to Walmart to get some food for the week. Well, we were in line after shopping, both exhausted, but we were quite happy to have food. Well.. My card didn't go through. And then Tom's, who we both knew had money on it, didn't go through. So at this point, I am really upset. I'm supposed to have money, and here I am standing in line with it not going through. So I call the bank, who then proceeds to tell me they made an error, and it will be in there bright and early the next day at 8am. (She said this in a happy, go get 'em voice and that irritated me further.) Well then the people at Walmart look at me like I've suddenly grown another head atop my shoulder. 


So they transfer us to Customer Service while Tom tries desperately to get his card going through. We ended up taking stuff we didn't need out to remove $10 from the cart. Well during this fiasco, there is this nice older gentleman keeping Alex company in line. Alex is throwing his box of goldfish, and the guy picked it up, and they continued that game. This man then went to tell us as we were leaving, that he wanted to pay for the stuff we couldn't take that day. (We were going to come back the next day.) We told him no, and thanked him. He asked again, saying he would love to do it. It really warmed my heart, and I was so caught off guard that I just thanked him, told him he was too kind, and waved goodbye. But the genuine look in his eye, really did touch my heart. He offered to help two people in need, and he had no obligation to offer things like that.


We didn't take his help, since we had the money, it just wasn't registering in our bank. So I was really upset, that I even had to be humiliated by an error they made. But I was really touched, to know that there are still very good people out there.


Let that be a note to you! Your kindness goes a long way, so take some time to smile to a stranger!

No comments:

Post a Comment